Viridor one of UK´s large ERF/WtE plant operators and waste treatment companies has during many years been operating the Bolton ERF plant.
The Viridor Company wanted to increase the annual treated waste capacity on the Bolton plant, it was anticipated that a more stable combustion could be an efficient way to obtain such improvements.
The Bolton ERF plant (operating since 1972) has during the years undergone several plant improvement projects.
Based on a feasibility study carried out by Dublix Engineering various areaswas chosen as subjects for improvement, including:
- New instruments for pressure measurements, improved Oxygen detection and steam flow measurement
- New process equipment for water spray cooling in combustion chamber
- Waste Crane weighing system
- Upgraded DCS/SCADA system
- Installing High Level Control using the FuzEvent optimization
The upgraded combustion control facilities was succesfully commissioned and put into operation August 2015.
The Bolton plant optimization was completed 2015 during 4 month, the most important results were:
- Return of investment <8 month
- 7 % increased power production
- 4,5 % more waste throughput
- 92 % full automatic operation
- 35 % less steam fluctuations
Please find the Case Story from this plant.
The Viridor Bolton ERF plant entrance.